Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Adventure #42: Reverse Away the Months (And a Few Days, Too!)

Ok.  You got me.  Last week's Adventure Day is getting post THIS week--but I surely don't plan to skimp on the adventuring this week, so no pre-judging me!
 
Last week was crazy.  And hectic.  And so is this week.
 
But hey, recap:  I went to Michigan last week.  I also went to Indiana.  I also went to Ohio.  And back to Texas.  Oh yeah, and I also worked for five days, interviewed at a grad school, and spent a day reminiscing at my alma mater.  Good stuff.
 
But let's not leave the reminiscing quite yet.  In fact, let's devote this Adventure blog post to reminiscing completely.  Remember way back, 41 weeks ago, when I 'created' the Adventure shoes?  (Ok, technically it's 42, but I'm fully acknowledging that I'm a week off currently.)
 
Well.  I'm ready to see the colors that I chose.  I'm ready to dissect the shapes, the symbols, the letters.  I'm ready to discover the wear and tear.  I'm ready to assess the honest adventuring that has occurred in these many months.  Are you ready, Dear Reader?  Here we go...
 
A four leaf clover for good luck in the year ahead?
A silver lining edging from the inners of my shoe?
A mess of scribblling to indicate my impatience to
just be 'done' with it all?  Yes.

The arrows of optimism, pointing further and
further forward, into the distance and to a
horizon that I cannot even see?  The fading of
colors, a wearing and tearing as evidence of
weekly adventures had and stories well-told?
Yes.
And here it is:  the length of the shoe.
Notice the colors--not corresponding?
A mere measure of my rebellion?
Again, the fading away from the bottom up.
The intricacy, the thought put forth.
And now, the Adventures had without
much thought at all.

The smiling face of a familiar friend?  The
grimace of a newfound acquaintence?  The swirl of
confusion?  Distant colored hearts from above?
Dots of snow pellets--or rain from above?  Sure signs
of future struggle?  Yes.
 
An 'E' for everything that I've done?  Everything
that I will do?  Here, in the NOW?  A pop of color,
a fading of black.  The dirt, the grime, the shoe's
soul showing through?  Yes.

And here it is, what drives it all?  The ambition
sought from within to keep going, the success from
years gone by?  The pink, laced in familiarity,
drags along the many colors of the shoe into something
more palatable, more easy to tread on?
And there it is, a declaration in itself?  Not-so-much
of a giant 'E' anymore, but an 'M'...for wanting
more?  The blue waves of trepidation, scattering
beneath?  The hovering colors overhead, a
rainbow as an omen?  Yes.

Here we are:  to the root of it all?  The bareness
of my feet below, the heel of the adventures, wearing
thin to expose the whiteness and purity of what has not
yet been experienced by my own two feet.  The
adventuring cannot continue forever?  Ending in so
few weeks?  Yes.

Yes, Dear Reader.  Yes.


 


 

1 comment:

  1. It's fun to see how your shoes have developed! I still remember when you started them!

    ReplyDelete