Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Adventure #19: "Feel-Like-An-Adult-Day"


Have I ever mentioned that I am not one who easily sleeps in?  Because it's true.  And it's certainly going to take some getting used to, since I don't have to be at the CoFo office until 11am on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  (Leaving at 7pm will be an adjustment, too, but I plan on bringing snacks to tide me over until dinner!) 
 But in case it wasn't obvious, to the left is a pic of ME on the 19th ADVENTURE DAY! I felt that a self-portrait was necessary, since I wore my favorite shirt. (Dashboard Confessional concert T-shirt for the win!) How could an Adventure Day go badly while wearing one's favorite shirt?!
 
Blog-followers (or really anyone who knows anything at all about me...) know that morning involves food.  Definitely-for-sure-without-a-doubt.  Food was prepped for lunch.  Food was made for breakfast.  Food is just the way life runs in my world.  Semi-stocked fridge is below.  With my Americorps program, I qualify for food stamps so I haven't gone legit food shopping yet (that's this weekend--woooooo!)
 
Plastic bag with Ali's lunch on the top shelf--yum!
 But what about breakfast?!  Breakfast is chill-time.  Always.  I am not a grab-a-poptart-on-the-run kinda gal.  (And if you haven't noticed, I'm really into making new words by combining real words with hypthens.  It might be a phase.  It might be long-lasting.  Only time will tell).
 
ANYWAY, banana cinnamon smoothie was calling my name so that was on the breakfast menu, along with TEA (duckie tea infuser, too!) and other protein munchies (a.k.a. nuts).  Satisfying?  Yes.  Handmade by me, the adult Ali who buys her own meal ingredients and turns them into edible creations?  Yes.  So far so good!
 


Did I mention that I watch the news every morning?  While, yes, this is a very 'adult' thing to do, I've been doing that since early on in high school.  What can I say, maybe I'm advanced?  (Haha, unlikely.  More like a curious individual who once had her head all up in the journalism world too  much for her own good.)  Oh, and the lovely TV above is the weather report.  Texas = hot.  Some days hotter.  But pretty much always hot.  (Especially in August!)

 So yes, I mentioned late start day at the office for Tuesdays and Thursdays.  What did I do with my
extra time besides not sleep?  Well, I was an adult, of course!  I scheduled myself a doctor's appointment with a brand new clinic!  Which basically means that I spent most of the time on hold with different clinics (only one of the clinics I called was the 'right' clinic with reasonable appointment availability) and then spent more phone bonding time with my old clinic to transfer my records.  Fun times.  (I'm sure you sense all of the fun being had in the pic to the right.  Isn't my facial expression overwhelmingly revealing of my state of excitement to be an adult and on hold?!)  By the way, I apologize for excessive sarcasm.  I'd like to blame it on the adulthood...but I can't.

But yes, eventually I did make it to work.  It wasn't just any old commute, though!  It was a carpool in which people trusted ME to drive.  Pretty wild if I do say so myself.  Luckily I did very little navigating myself (thanks, Luigi), but I did feel a lot like a soccer mom driving a mini-van full of people from Point A to Point B.  Being a mom is like the ultimate level of adulthood.  DEFINITELY not there, and I'm ok with that.
 
Yeah, but I safely got the crew to work (shoutout to Team Riverside carpoolin old school in Babs the minivan!).  I love getting to my desk straight away in the morning, even though there haven't been that many mornings thus far.  You know why I love it?  Because below is the extravagance that I get to see:



My desk area is an expression of who I am.  I may not loudly express it all the time to anyone and everyone I meet/become acquainted with, but each peice of my desk decor has a story, and anyone curious enough about me, can surely ask and receive what I can only hope would be a satisfactory answer.  People make memories.  I don't own a lot of 'stuff,' but I have a lot of memories, and little pieces such as those I display are how I choose to cherish each of those memories (most of which I will admit were experienced during my four years at WMU).
 
CoFo arrival means workin time for me, so productivity was to be had.  At some point during the 'work day' I had some 'field research' to work on with my super-cool 'field research team.'  (Again, what a grown up thing to be working on...field research!)  In reality, that's a code word for an awesome Austin-wide scavenger hunt that we've been assigned to complete with our randomly assigned group within one month.  I'd give you more details, but it's totally top secret.  Just appreciate the genius people pictured below.  They are the masterminds behind what will be our ultimate success!  (Haha, I'm totally not that competitive, I promise!)
 


Hmmm...what else did I do at CoFo?  Welllll, it was a pretty exciting day because we were pretty much anticipating the start of initial contacts with our assigned students from various universities.
 

My main school is Texas State, and I have quite a few students from Austin Community College, too.  I did only end up calling two students at the VERY end of the day, but that's ok--with 80 total students, there have been PLENTY of phone calls today!  I also had a meeting type thing, giving all of us CoFo-ers info on a new system for student data.  I couldn't give away the super secret squirrel stuff, so I just took a pic of my Adventure Shoes, listening attentively during the meeting.  Matt sat next to me.  He promised to be in a REAL picture...but then it didn't happen!  Bummer.  Oh well, I snapped his shoes--and he didn't even know it happened!  Hehe.

 As a dedicated carpool driver, I drove back home to the Riverside area and found my way to the top of the three flights of stairs to the homey apartment.  Pretty nice view once one makes it to the top, I'd say.  The palm trees add a certain 'Texas' feel, right?
 

The rest of my evening wasn't so much a social affair as it was a being-lazy-after-a-long-day-of-work kinda thing.  Which is ok.  I know plenty of adults who do that.  And who says Adventure Days have to be FULL of Adventure?!  It was adventurous enough just driving on the highway to and from the CoFo office!  (...that was a joke...kinda.) 
 
No, but really.  I came to a realization that my white board calendar actually has some social events on it (Yay for that!), and I also realized that even after spending most of the day on Facebook to ready for contacting students via social media, I STILL had a yearning for my own personal Facebook time (don't judge!).
 

Calendar slowly filling up.  And laptop filled up with Facebook.
 Hey, but guess what I got to end the ever-so-exciting night with?  A Skype chat, of course!  (At this point, I'd hope that you smart blog readers out there have sense a certain trend in my nighttime routine.  Hint:  It typically involves Fish.  And not the kind that swim in the ocean.)
 
I didn't tell Fish I took the below picture (hehe, what a day full of picture-taking deviousity), but no matter, I have the full rights of the photo, so there's nothing he can do.

 
I hope my Adventure Day was interesting at the least and entertaining at the most!  I appreciate every reader I get, and I honestly still look forward to Adventure Day so much!  Who knows which day will be Adventure Day NEXT week?  And who knows WHAT will happen?!

No comments:

Post a Comment