Sunday, August 12, 2012

Adventure #16: Let's Explore Austin!

Yesterday's Adventure Day was so complex/long/amazing/fun/epic/awesome!  My first official day in Austin, Texas, and I got to spend it seeing the sites with one of my best friends, Allie Doty.  There really is too much to tell, so I'll just add in captions where necessay, and allow you to fill in the blanks yourself.

I couldn't sleep and got up around 5am!  So I organized the counter in the hotel room.  I have A LOT of cosmetic stuff.

All dressed and ready for our Adventure Day!  Apparently we thought stripes were a good idea.  (Unintentional, of course.)

Continental breakfast, courtesy of the Austin Days Inn downtown.  It was an ok spread.

Uhhh...Doty...why did you need a knife with your breakfast?  Ah!  Right!  The yogurt!

I thought I'd give ya a glimpse of our lovely hotel room.

The first morning venture included traipsing round the University of Texas campus--we found quite a cute little nook here!  Doty was particularly fond of the giant palm tree.

The benches and statues had awesome thought-provoking sayings carved in them.

We were impressed by the tear-off mustaches for an advertisement!  (Don't we look smashing?!) 

Beautiful clock tower and architecture at UT.

What a view!

SM pic #2!  (A key chain at the UT bookstore.)

JACKALOPE!

This is me.  DRIVING in Austin, Texas!  Have I mentioned I hate driving?  Especially city driving?
The next venture:  mini golf with Peter Pan!



A hole in one!!!

"Tinker Bell, you are so thought-provoking!"
Doty got ANOTHER one!


A hole in one for Doty!!!


Ok so I FREAKED OUT when I saw this block of FOOD TRUCKS!  I watch food trucks on TV...and now I get to EAT from them!

Waiting for delicious food truck food...


FOOD TRUCK FOOD!  I got something called
a Dosa.  A crepe made of rice and lentil flour.
Stuffed with spinach, cheese, coconut cream, and veggies!
Cilantro (spicy) and coconut (mild) chutneys on the side.
YUM!


We went to Allen's Bootery.  SO MANY BOOTS!  Cowboy boots are actually pretty pricey, too.

Yee haw!

SM pic #3!  In an antique shop called Uncommon Objects (pictured below).


CANDY SHOP!  Doty was in heaven!

AND they had a decent chocolate selection!


Finding this mural was totally worth it!


Drove by my/Aeryn's new apartment!  I can't wait to move in on Aug. 20th!

Returned to the hotel for some rest.  Doty drank her root beer.  I chewed on ice.  It was fantastic.

Dinner:  Amy's ice cream!  Would you believe that they flip scoops of ice cream like pancakes?!  Crazy flavors, too--some even with alcohol in them.

I got a large sundae:  Chocolate orange almond ice cream with Reese's mixed in.  Whipped cream, hot fudge, and sprinkles on top!


Awesome wall art by where we parked!






Last night we got
some live Austin music
at the Gallery, a part
of the famous Continental Club


Ended the day with more Austin traffic.  But before conquering the streets of Austin, we found a bit of wise old advise graffiti-ed in the parking garage...


I'd say mission accomplished!

And now:  ready for many more Austin Adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Dah.. I just can't believe you are in TEXAS! I hope you are having tons of fun and being Safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl, I can't believe it either! Fun and safeness are definitely happening! :)

    ReplyDelete