Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Adventure #22: Every Day Shouldn't Be Awesome--And It Won't

Oh hey look--I had to wear my College Forward t-shirt today!  It's a pretty snazzy shirt...but there's a reason why I avoid wearing t-shirts.  Take a look what happens when worn as most people wear them.  I don't really have much of a skirt to be seen...
 
Let's start at the beginning...Adventure Day pretty much sucked.  (No sugar coating for ya, sorry.)
 
It's been awhile since I've done list form, but I'll give it a shot so that I won't carry on with the bad stuff throughout this whole post:
 
1)  I didn't have internet in the apartment (pretty sure it was day three...who knows why, we were guessing the rain messed up the wiring or something...) so I had no idea how to get to my doctor's appointment that morning.  I had gotten directions from Fish (who looked up the address online because he is awesome), but I was feeling very hesitant.
 
2)  I hate going to the doctor for more reasons than one.  I am very adamant about going to the doctor though--preventative health care is a must.  But it's not one of those experiences that doesn't spark a bit of anxiety in me, especially what with seeing a new doctor in a new city at a place I'd never been to before.
 
3)  I did well for most of the finding-of-the-clinic...until I realized that I really don't know how far two miles is.  I thought I went too far.  I called Fish.  He told me I hadn't gone far enough.  I realized I was way paranoid and should prob stop wasting time...
 
4)  I should have mentioned this earlier...but my GPS didn't recognize the clinic address.  Mostly because I later realized that it was on 'Webberville St.' NOT 'Riverville St.'--which doesn't actually exist at all.
 
5)  Despite getting to the clinic a half hour early, I didn't get seen by even a nurse until a half hour after my appointment was supposed to have been.  And THEN I waited in a separate room for 10+ more minutes waiting for a doc.  Not ok.
 
6)  It was Texas State University Campus Visit Day for the Texas State College Completion Coach team.  Which I am one of.  And I was supposed to meet the team at the Riverside HEB (by where I live) at 10am.  I saw the doc at 10:15am.  Definitely didn't happen.
 
7)  The doc told me a lot of stuff I already knew about myself.  And also didn't have the medical records that I had faxed to the clinic weeks ago.  So Awesome.
 
8)  After doctor appointment, I obviously had to get myself to San Marcos to meet up with the crew and check out Texas State/meet my students.  Since I wasn't part of the carpool though, I couldn't get reimbursed for the hour round trip gas usage.  Major bummer.
 
9)  Parking cost me $14.  BUMMER.
 
10)  I got lost in San Marcos.  This is getting to be quite the list.
 
11)  Students were asking for me, and I received texts asking where I was.  Yup, I was in rush mode.
 
12)  I guess the last bit of 'bad luck' was just me being flustered initially when meeting students.  Didn't last too long.  Oh--and I had a good portion of our campus visit supplies with me (sign-in sheet, candy container--I'll explain this later, graffitti signature pages/markers).  Ah well, better late than never.
 
13)  The day ended, and I'd come to terms with driving home by myself/paying for gas mileage, etc.  BUT I drove to the gate to leaving the parking garage...and found out that the pay booth was back by[the entrance.  And it wasn't a drive-up.  I had to re-park, pay for the parking, and THEN leave.
 
14)  I was hungry.  This would have put me in a bad mood on any evening after work, but...this was a special kind of give-me-dinner-now kind of hungry.
 
15)  I had to pick up prescriptions from the grocery store.  The prescription that I DIDN'T need was there...and would have cost $200 if I actually needed it/paid for it.  The prescription that I DID need was nowhere to be found.  Joy.  (It was also the free prescription.  Go figure.)
 
16)  Did I mention that I cut off a car when turning left into the grocery store.  Minor tidbit that adds to the list, haha.
 
17)  My apartment complex STILL hadn't changed out the locks on our front door as they had promised to do on MONDAY for scheduled lock changing.  I had to go digging in my purse for the old key.  (Annoying at the very least.)
 
Ok, I can definitely say that after that stuff happend, things improved significantly.  For the rest of this post, I will keep things lighthearted and positive--no more bringing down the mood!

Yay!  Happy because I adjusted my shirt!  AND positive things rounded out my day!
 Here's a few positives in my day:
1)  While I had no energy to cook the meal that I had initially planned on making for dinner (and no internet right away to refer to the online recipe), I DID have a can of yummy butternut squash soup!  I fixed that up with a salad and some fried egg salad, and I was well-nourished and happy!
 
2, 3, 4, 5, 6...100+)  I GOT INTERNET!!!  Yup, the internet sporadically came back (THANK YOU Aeryn, for notifying me of this!), and I was not only able to check email, Facebook, Foodgawker, Twitter, and Pinterest, but I also got to Skype Fish!  Made for a great evening!
 
Want to see a couple other great things that happened on yesterday's Adventure Day?  Keep scrolling!
 
SNACKS AT THE CAMPUS VISIT!  Hans and Brendan were kind enough to buy yummy munchies for our collegians and for us CCC's to eat up all day!  I most definitely grabbed one of those cookies to finish off my lunch!













It might be confusing why the heck there are all kinds of Nerds in a milk jug.  Texas State CoFo students got to guess how many boxes of Nerds were inside!  The plan is to mail out an awesome prize to whoever guessed the closest number!  Any guesses, blog readers?!

But really, it was a great experience getting to finally meet a good amount of my students face-to-face, especially since it's so hard to get in touch with most of them.  They lead busy lives, and they are not always to blame for the hit-or-miss experiences we often have with communicating.  I had some good smiles to make up for my day of mishaps, and they are to attribute for many of them.  It gets me that much more pumped to help them succeed this year!  Go Bobcats!
 
And then there's me wearing yoga pants...haha, it was just necessary.  I was tired, needed comfort, and that required yoga pants.  No yoga needed.  (I don't wear yoga pants during yoga anyway--too confining/too much fabric for me to wear during yoga!)

 
And that's that!  I've definitely realized that not every Adventure Day needs to be purely a positive experience.  The Adventure Shoes trip and fall, just as I do.  I grow from it.  Dust myself off and keep trucking.  I've done it once, twice, and many times before, so I should keep it up.  Days like yesterday are a good reminder of that.
 
Well, I'll keep experiencing the reminders and riding this week to its end.
 
Oh--and there were 18 boxes of Nerds.  Were you right?!

2 comments:

  1. Ali, I am so glad that you take the positives out of life. That sounded like a really rough day. That would be rough even for a whole week, let alone one day! But stay positive! You are a great person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! I love hearing from you, and your feedback on my post means so much to me! But yeah, that was a rough day. Girl, feel free to vent to me about your rough days, too--you are one positive individual yourself!

    ReplyDelete