Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Adventure #11: I Cheated But It's Worth It

I warned you--last week was very much thrown off by the chaos of my totally-awesome trip to Michigan.  There are PLENTY of pictures that I will make you look at.  I will not post them here (yes, I will require you do your own work), but please visit my Facebook album at: 

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/media/set/?set=a.10151399026430910.396499.646145909&type=3

There are things I'd like to share about my many adventures last week.  And I shall share them the best I can below.  BUT, I'd like to reassure all my dear readers that there will still be a legitimate Adventure Day this week that will include the Adventure Shoes, plenty of pictures, and an updated, timely blog post.  I am serious.  So take me seriously and check back by this weekend (or just become a Follower on my lovely blog).

For-real though, sharing time. 

THE LIST OF LESSONS LEARNED DURING MY 9-DAY MICHIGAN TRIP:

Day 1
~Bismarck Airport security means business.  Meaning that unopened spray bottles of sunscreen DO NOT make it past security.  (Thanks for rescuing me, Dad!)
~Three hour layovers are long.  Really really long.
~Minneapolis Airport has a mall.  Believe me.
~Airport bookstores are good for making time pass.  No need to even buy a book; just read in a comfy chair and enjoy.
~A curbside hug can become the highlight of a day.  Said hug might also prolong temporary vehicle drop-off/pick-up lane's traffic congestion at Grand Rapids International Airport.  But whatever.
~If you look confused enough, Panera employees will eventually help you locate the area where one must take dirty dishes before leaving the restaurant.
~French Hall will have a floor with two RA's next year who go by Mo-Ler.  Dynamic Duo, if I do say so myself.

Day 2
~The date can be irrelevant; better to have happened a lil late than never at all.
~5 a.m. is always early.  Especially when one changes time zones so that 5 a.m. feels like 3 a.m.
~The sunrise is beautiful.  East Campus is magical.  Sweetwater's donuts are delicious.  (Duh.)
~Fish is obsessed with the 'Children' setting on my camera.
~Steak and Shake Happy Hour is always a good idea.  If it's the right time, just do it.
~It doesn't matter how many times one has gone to Roadhouse for dinner/drinks--it's the best place to go to catch up and fill up on yummy things.
~It doesn't have to be July 4th to play with sparklers.

Day 3
~Fish makes GREAT pancakes.
~Fish makes GREAT shrimp alfredo.
~My Co doesn't really like red Faygo but will drink it if he's thirsty.
~O'Quinn peels an orange with his teeth.
~I don't melt in Lake Michigan, as long as the water is above 60 degrees and the air temp is hovering around 90 degrees.
~The South Haven Dairy Queen is cursed when it comes to spills.  I believe I counted at least three during dinner that day.
~South Haven fireworks don't start at dusk.  Try after 10:30...
~South Haven fireworks draw in more people than some rallies in Washington D.C.  You've been warned.
~Pinot Noir is delicious.  Especially when drank from a wine glass.

Day 4
~Fish does in fact like Greek yogurt.
~Air conditioning is not optional for a two hour road trip in 90 degree heat.  It begins necessary.  Only the tough survive otherwise.  (Fish and I are pretty tough FYI.)
~It doesn't matter how much taller other people are, if they are welcoming, then everything is going to be ok.
~Fireworks in 90 degree heat simply isn't worth it.  Baking cookies on the other hand, is TOTALLY worth it.
~Melting chocolate chips for drizzling requires patience.
~Fish and I don't have patience.
~Part of baking is creating delicious things out of the unbaked ingredients.  Take my word for it.

Day 5
~Detroit is awesome.  Enough said.
~If there is a need to name something (let' say...some kind of mass transit...) just be obvious about it.  Call it the PeopleMover.  It fits.
~One can see Canada from Detroit.
~Saganaki is flaming cheese.  And it's delicious.  (Opah!)
~Coconut trees exist inside buildings.  (Who cares if they're fake?!)
~My new roommate totally earned my approval.  Especially because her dog Chuey is adorable.  And because she currently works at a restaurant with delicious food!
~Farmington Hills Meijer has a GREAT toy aisle.  That aisle can suck up so much time!
~Chocolate covered oranges are most definitely seasonal items.  This conclusion was FINALLY determined after much searching.  If Walgreens doesn't have it, nobody has it.
~Nighttime playground romping revives one's inner-child, no matter one's age.

Day 6
~Groupon is such a great invention!  Especially when used at brunch.
~Payless is tricky.  BOGO sales work for only select shoes.  One must be careful not to be tricked by the trickery.
~Rent can be sung aloud when driving/riding from Farmington Hills to Goodrich.  Duets are most effective.
~Puppy + 11-month-old = a tad bit of chaos.  Try throwing in four adults cooking a meal and dessert, and the chaos is increased.
~Bathtime is GREAT FUN with Baby Faye.  Every single part of bathtime.
~It's not a family picture if the puppy isn't in it!
~The waltz really isn't that hard to learn!  And neither is the four-step!

Day 7
~After breakfast, there is always room in one's stomach for fresh bagels brought from the bakery.  That's when one's second stomach opens up!  ;)
~The original Twisted Metal video game is so old school.  But it's still awesome.  And my best car is still Outlaw.
~In the middle of the day in the middle of summer, the roof is hot.  Don't go on it.  Don't even sit on it.  Don't even think about it.
~BASKIN ROBBINS STILL EXISTS!!! 
~If one hurries, one can get ready for a wedding in less than 40 minutes.
~Cowboy boots are totally appropriate wedding party attire.
~M&M's make great wedding favors.  Especially if the bride and groom's faces are on them.
~Drinks at an open bar at a wedding aren't the best.  Keep this in mind before setting expectations for the night.
~The hokey pokey makes a great wedding song.

Day 8
~Fish likes tea.  But if he finishes your cup of tea, he will also likely get new tea to share.
~Cutting up butternut squash is tedious.  And can cause blister formation.
~Butternut squash mac and cheese is worth making/trying/devouring.  Be adventurous!
~Krogers are East Side grocery stores.  I've been to one.  They are real.
~One must pay close attention to the Creeper Channel at WMU to determine which part of the Miller Fountain is being viewed at any given time.  (Allows for further nighttime adventures.)
~Dinner can sometimes occur after 11pm.  Sometimes shrimp alfredo tastes good after 11pm.

Day 9
~There is no such thing as too much Sweetwater's.  Even when one's coupon for a free donut is not available.
~Ducks eat pieces of napkin when the moldy bread has all been eaten.
~Accidentally stomping on my phone will result in all my texts being marked as unread.  (Annoying?  Yes.)
~There are lots of cute cafe's downtown.  Said cafe's also sell loose leaf tea.  (WANT!)
~Theo & Stacy's downtown is DELICOUS!  Especially in the company of Shay and Fish!
~Grand Rapids short-term parking is difficult to locate.
~Saying good-bye and not turning back can be one of the hardest things one can ever do.
~An unassigned seat on an airplane is inconvenient.  It results in much waiting.
~Waking up after a 1.5 hour drive home to discover that one is not at home but at Walmart can be disheartening.  But food must be bought...I guess.

And the above is a fast and furious re-cap that left out TONS of details and stuff that I wish I could have included!  Questions on anything?!  I love talking about my trip so ask away! 

Finally...this week's Adventure Day will be coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment